Experienced, Board Certified Sex Offender Lawyer in Texas
Being arrested for a sex crime has countless repercussions. You may lose your job, your spouse, your family, and further stigmatized by society before you are even tried by a jury of your peers. A conviction for a sex crime will affect you for the rest of your life. Sex offenses often have enhancements and registration requirements on top of the standard penalties of prison time, fines, and strenuous conditions of probation. A conviction may result in having to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life!
As a former Chief Felony Prosecutor, James Aulbaugh has seen every variety of sex crime cases. At the Aulbaugh Law Firm, James understands the importance of protecting a person’s reputation, recourses, and rights by ensuring that they receive a fair trial. This is especially critical in sex offenses. Call James Aulbaugh, your board certified sex crime attorney, to schedule a confidential consultation and begin fighting the sex offense allegations against you! Call today 214-500-0430!
Sex Crime Cases Handled by The Aulbaugh Law Firm
- Sexual Assault & Rape – including date rape, statutory rape, acquaintance rape, and child molestation.
- Texas’ Age of Consent: 17 years old
- Romeo and Juliet Law (Romeo y Julieta): The Romeo and Juliet Law protects young adults over 17 from being prosecuted from a sex crime if four conditions are met:
- Both parties consent to the sexual relations;
- Neither individual is a registered sex offender;
- The other party is at least 14 years old; and
- There is not more than a three year age gap between the two individuals
- Example: if an 18-year-old has consensual sexual relations with a 16-year-old, the Romeo and Juliet law protects the 18-year-old from prosecution. But a 20-year-old who has sex with a 16-year-old could be prosecuted because they are more than three years apart in age.
- Internet Sex Crimes – including online solicitation of a minor; online promotion of prostitution
- Prostitution – including charges related to online escort services
- Indecent Exposure/Public Lewdness- intentionally exposing yourself in public, engaging in a sex act in public
- Child Pornography – including downloading or distributing child pornography
Sex Crimes Penalties
A misdemeanor sex crime conviction could result in the following:
- Class C misdemeanor: Up to $500 in fines
- Class B misdemeanor: Up to 180 days in jail and / or up to $2,000 in fines
- Class A misdemeanor: Up to 1 year in jail & up to $4,000 in fines
A felony sex offense conviction will incur penalties as follows:
- State jail felony: 180 days – 2 years in state jail & up to $10,000 in fines
- Third degree felony: 2 – 10 years in prison & up to $10,000 in fines
- Second degree felony: 2 – 20 years in prison & up to $10,000 in fines
- First degree felony: 5 – 99 years or life prison & up to $10,000 in fines
Lifetime Consequences of Sex Offense Convictions
If you are convicted of a sex crime, you may continue to be punished even after you have served their time. Sex offender registration means having your photo and address on the Texas Sex Offender Registry. This database is online and available to the Public!!! Sex offender registration may hinder your opportunity to have a job, find safe housing, and live a normal life.
If You are Accused of a Sex Crime, There Isn’t a Moment to Lose!!!!
Call Today At (214) 500-0430.
James Aulbaugh is a former Chief Felony Prosecutor and is a Board Certified Criminal Law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. James has the experience and expertise to resolving your sex crime case in your favor. As your Dallas sex crime lawyer, James is ready to fight your case and answer your criminal law questions. Contact us to schedule a consultation!